Glenkinchie is a Lalland (Lowland Dialect) corruption of 'de Quincy', a family which owned tracts of East Lothian - the 'Garden of Scotland' - in the 14th century. In 1853 the Rate brothers were bankrupted and the buildings of the distillery lay empty, being primarily used as a cowshed. In the 1880s Glenkinchie was bought by a consortium of whisky merchants and blenders from Edinburgh and Leith, which re-established production after rebuilding the distillery and maltings.
The Distillery Today In 1914 Scottish Malt Distillers was formed with a view to consolidating the interests and resources of Lowland distilleries in troubled times. Glenkinchie was bought and has remained under the license of John Haig & Co.