The heritage of Ballantine’s Scotch Whisky can be traced back to the year 1827, when farmer’s son George Ballantine set up a small grocery store in Edinburgh. From there he began to supply a select range of whiskies to a distinguished clientele. In 1865 George delegated the running of the Edinburgh store to his eldest son, Archibald, while he opened a larger establishment in Glasgow. Here he concentrated on the wine and spirit trade, catering for discerning clients including the British Royal Family. He also began to create and perfect his own blends.